Energy Cities is a partner of the sQUAD project – Cross-border competence centre for the planning and monitoring of sustainable neighbourhoods
The sQUAD project is the continuation of the Interreg IVA project “Eco-Obs” (2009-2012) which enabled to create a cross-border observatory of sustainable neighbourhoods for the Lake Geneva area and the Jura Arc region, based on common tools and methods to monitor urban projects.
The challenges revealed in Eco-Obs have highlighted the need to create a competence centre for the planning and monitoring of sustainable neighbourhoods. This centre should provide observation and monitoring activities, a share of experience and know-how, support in the development of projects as well as training activities.
- Extend the observatory to other areas, including cross-border regions, to reference sustainable urban planning projects that have been developed or that are planned, build on these French and Swiss examples via the analysis of sustainability in these approaches.
- Set up guidelines to actively support planners in the development of sustainable neighbourhoods. This support to implementation will be based on the feedback from the ground and discussions between local players.
- Create and sustain a competence centre that aims to be a reference in terms of sustainable urban planning in the cross-border regions. This competence centre should assist in the certification, monitoring and management of sustainable neighbourhoods on the long term.
Four regions, including three cross-border regions, are targeted in sQUAD:
- The cross-border region of Geneva
- The Jura Arc region
- The Canton of Valais
- The areas of Chambéry and Grenoble in the Rhône-Alpes region
The involvement of different regions in France and Suisse can be explained by a similar context and a specific identity which is decisive in the planning and implementation of projects. This will enable to highlight common planning experiences and approaches and to favour the development of a network of stakeholders related to projects in a same region.
What is Energy Cities doing in sQUAD?
- Will organise two workshops in the French area of the Jura Arc region to enable local stakeholders to share their experiences on sustainable urban projects (1 workshop in 2014 and 1 in 2015),
- Highlight European sustainable neighbourhoods via the preparation of case studies.
||Interreg IVA France-Suisse|
||Haute école du paysage, de l’ingénierie et d’architecture (hépia),|
Institut national de l’énergie solaire (INES)
||H3oC/Fongit, Haute Ecole du canton de Vaud, Institut des hautes études en administration publique (IDHEAP), Centre de recherches énergétiques municipales (CREM), Amstein&Walthert, Association Ecoparc, Maison de l’économie et du développement (MED-74), Agence d’urbanisme de la région de Grenoble (AURG), Energy Cities|
||ADEME Franche-Comté, Canton de Genève, Canton du Valais, Teractem, Ville de Grenoble, Communauté d’agglomération Grenoble-Alpes Métropole, Ville de Chambéry|
||Laura Guérin - Project officer|