POCACITO - Post-carbon cities in Europe: A long-term outlook
Project’s main objective is to produce a long-term outlook into the future of EU sustainable post-carbon cities in a global context. This outlook serves to assess the long-term trends and tensions in EU cities which may have a relevant impact on urban development and to explore innovative approaches for achieving sustainable post-carbon cities in the EU.
Meeting these objectives will contribute to implementing sustainable growth, defined as a target in the Europe 2020 strategy, and to support the EU Innovation Union flagship initiative.
The goal of the POCACITO project is to develop an evidence-based roadmap for EU cities to transition to post-carbon systems by 2050. This main objective will be achieved using seven components:
- Assembling an inventory of current initiatives and best practices which will serve to inform about potential measures and successful approaches to a post-carbon transition process.
- Producing an initial assessment of the current situation in case study cities as an input into the scenario development.
- Identifying win-win situations at the city level regarding CO2 reductions and tackling other environmental problems, such as air pollution or climate change adaptation. Partner cities in the EU and in emerging economies will be informed about best practices and potential policy transfer through a dedicated ‘Marketplace of Ideas’ with study tours and learning opportunities. Mutual learning, exchanging visions and experiences between EU cities and internationally.
- Developing together with stakeholders a set of three to five qualitative socio-economic scenarios for specific case study cities. This foresight will be completed by adding a post-carbon vision to each scenario in each city.
- A quantitative analysis will measure the distance between the scenarios and the business-as-usual development and the post-carbon vision in each city. The result of the gap analysis will then inform stakeholders when choosing potential additional measures to be added to their scenarios.
- In an iterative approach, the combination of scenarios and measures will be assessed as to their socio-economic impacts in order to adjust the choice of measures.
- Positioning the EU as one of the first movers regarding low carbon urban solutions. Based on the results of the above six components, a set of strategic transition papers, city-specific foresights, and a generic EU 2050 roadmap with recommended pathways for a set typology of cities will be produced.
Case study cities include:
In each of these cities, the local administration and relevant stakeholders will be engaged via a series of five local workshops in each case study city. Each case study will analyse economic, social and ecological flows, but will have different thematic emphases, depending on the main challenges and pressures ( energy generation and use, water supply, waste, air quality, transport and mobility, food, green infrastructure, adaptation to climate change).
What Energy Cities is doing in POCACITO?
- leads the work package on stakeholders involvement and dissemination
- contributes to the identification of relevant case studies and initiatives at local and national level in Europe
- participates to the development of cities typologies and to the "Future of European Cities" scenario
- gives support for the Roadmap development
- organises 2 studytours in 2015 and 2016
||Seventh Framework Programme|
||Ecologic Institute gemeinnützige GmbH|
||Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, Politecnico di Torino, INTELI, Center for European Policy Studies, Joanneum research Forschungsgesellschaft Mbh, IVL Svenska Miljoeinstitutet Ab, Leibniz-Institut für Regionalentwicklung und Strukturplanung, Aarhus Universitet, Instanbul Teknik Universitesi, UNDP Croatia, Univerzita Karlova Praze|
||Ian Turner - Project Manager|